Wednesday, March 2, 2011

embracing the end of infantdom

they are 6,4 and 2
the time has come to say goodbye to some things.

goodbye first-born-gotta-do-everything-perfectly-or-she-will-end-up-dancing-on-a-pole-days
(U of I graduate school graduation, turned in thesis 6 days before she was born-otherwise titled "hey honey let's take our picture in front of this vandalized dumpster)

good-bye if-we-don't-play-baby-einstein-all-stinking-day-and-put-learning-blocks-in-front-of-her-she-will-never-get-into-Harvard Law-days
(note Stuart our first "baby" wondering why the heck we didn't make him look at black and white shapes when he was a kitten)

goodbye cheesy-ass-tshirts-that-say-mommy.  they have been replaced with spanx, large distracting earrings and the distinct disheveled look of a mother of 3.
(i mean really?  i had this made and then wore it? )

goodbye naps-for-me-during-the-day-because-he-fell-asleep-in-the-beco-and-i-wouldn't-dare-try-to-move-him
(if i sit with my eyes closed and focus, i can feel his baby chest move up and down and his breath hit my cheek....sigh)

goodbye baby wearing.  i can't be funny here because i am too busy crying....if anyone has a baby i can wear can you swing by with her just for a little while?  i won't  promise i will give her back.
(okay so kinda funny.....if i had a NICKEL for every time i was asked if my baby could "breathe in there" oh i would be so SO rich!)

goodbye breastfeeding...no tears here.  i gave them their year whether it was pumped or tapped but i am DONE and that is a good thing for me.
(i bet her dolly didn't clamp down, bite, pull and demand)

goodbye oh so soft minkee cloth diapers.  if-i-never-have-to-flick-poop-into-the-toilet-again-days

(the boy had some physique huh?)

goodbye people-using-my-ginormous-pg-belly-for-a-teatime-table

(alternately titled, i need a nap and i don't care what you are doing as long as you are safe)

goodbye sleeping-with-one-eye-open-to-check-to-see-if-she-is-still-breathing-every-two-seconds-nights

(this was a "sun bath" for jaundice.  umm....do you think maybe they forgot to remove something at the hospital?)

goodbye to my fuzzyhaired-sweet sighing-doublechinning-milk breathed-hipholding-heart-breaking infants.


you are who i was.
and now as i find out who i am, i hope the memories of your baby days give me strength,
let me know that if i can do all of this, i can do anything.
i hope i didn't screw you up yet.
farewell to my sweet, sweet babies...it was a great ride.


for other embracing, hop on over to Emily's blog...

19 comments:

Unknown said...

Awww...this makes me want to have another baby! So sweet!

cami said...

I have been slowly saying my good-byes too... not sure If I'm ready to be done with it all.. but your beautiful (and funny) entry is a great reminder that if I cling to the past, I can't release and be INTO the future.

Jamie Kubeczka said...

You seriously have me cracking up right now. Love your post!

lesleyzellers said...

Beautiful and FUNNY post.

MJ said...

I'm so, so glad I don't have to say goodbye to most of these things yet. :) Your post really made me smile. Thanks!

Wendy said...

Awww, what a beautiful post :)

Mommy Girl said...

simply fantastic! Thanks for the laughs, thanks for the tears!

Andi Adams said...

My fav. is definitely the one with your big belly and what looks like a little girls tea time set on it. :) so cute!

Anonymous said...

what an emotional ride motherhood is!
I miss breastfeeding one of my girls, but the other little biter, not so much LOL!
tara

Boni Lady said...

absolutely LOVE this {embrace} thanks for sharing!

Nana said...

i love reading your posts, sarah...this one made me laugh!

tiffany | monuments and melodies said...

hi! thanks for stopping by!

I, too, thought this was great! laughing out loud :)

Amber said...

I love this post. What a journey motherhood is! You have beautiful littles. :o)

Jami said...

That belly shot with the tea set is soooo great! I love it!

Mom's the Word said...

This was *hilarious*, and so beautiful. Thanks for sharing! I especially love the nursing picture (the sibling nursing, the look on the face, everything is perfect about it!)

Hockey Wife said...

Adorable photos. I love going back to look at old photos of Linden as an infant. When he was sweet and innocent, you know? ;)

So glad you stopped by my blog and linked up! Hope you get a few new followers and a little comment love!

TexaGermaFinlaNadian said...

So so so so cute! And beautiful pictures. Thanks for sharing :) I stopped over from Pass the Puck, hope ya'll are having a good weekend!
http://texagermanadian.blogspot.com/

Heather said...

oh gosh, this post makes me cry!

Michelle Vandepol said...

love the i need a nap pic! would win a contest. so funny :)