Sunday, January 2, 2011

Rewind 2 days.....

The First Day.....unexpected.  60 degrees on New Year's Eve in Illinois?  I understand changes in weather patterns but really?  I was just letting old man winter sink his teeth into my habits, I even started wearing socks and underwear again (not necessary from April to October).  The prospect of this gift of beautiful weather had me humming with ideas.  Take down the Christmas lights, get the car washed, clean up the toys in the yard (give me a break that first snowfall came on quick!), run errands, or even go for a jog.  Oh the possibilities-all squashed by these three little words.....Audrey, Harper and Georgia.  On a previous day after much thought, I decided to make a pretty lofty resolution.  Lofty as in unattainable, crazy, and near impossible.  To be a better mother.  See?  No biggie right?  So, I did what any "better mother" would do, I searched the house for some muddy day clothes and shouted, "We are going to the park people!".  For the next hour and a half, we walked, we splashed, we swung (swang?  swinged?), we laughed, we underdogged and we talked about "our season" summer.  After hitting the white porch with mud soaked shoes I could only imagine how much more work this better mothering thing was going to be......and I smiled.

No comments: