Sunday, January 9, 2011

Sometimes I lie.


I try not to make it a habit, but last night the fact was that my kids had been eating some less than nutritious cuisine.  They needed to get back on track to ingesting items with one readable ingredient.  And so I lied.

Problem one-not much in the cupboard. 

Problem two-JB singing at church, doing this dinner solo. 

As I put together items ( I don't cook-I reheat, microwave and cut) on their plates, the three kids started putting together a bird fort.  They twisted the tale of three exotic birds who lived in a rockin cool house (read: couch cushions, bed pillows and bean bags).  They were pretending that people were paying to come in and see them.  I was happy for a few moments of continuous thought.

My menu included reheated chicken/quinoa, broccoli, carrots, pumpkin seeds and kiwi (pumpkin seeds-12g of good fat, zinc, magnesium and 9 g of protein-who knew?).
Harper saw the spread first and boy was he displeased.  "I can't want nuthin of that mama."  Great, so much for the healthy meal.........until I tell the lie. 

I spin a tail about how if exotic birds don't eat their bird souffle they will become ill and have to move out of their nest.  No one will come to see them in their exhibit because they will be featherless and sickly.  The bird nest will have to be deconstructed and the birds will have to go lay in their beds and go to sleep.  My wide brown eyed boy listened intently and said "Weally?"  

I let him ponder this as I brought out the plates to their nest.  They balked for just a moment and then the birds ate, delightfully distracted by my tale. 

Normally I just say, "EAT IT BECAUSE I SAID SO!"  but my better mothering promise led me down the path of story telling, distraction and fun.  One dinner down-thousands to go!


The birds lived happily ever after...and even gave mama some time to do the dishes.


No comments: